1 Day Freedom
Duration: 1 Day
Explore the 12 golden beaches of the Astrolabe area.
Kayak: Marahau - Marahau
The forest-fringed Astrolabe offers the highest concentration of golden sandy beaches in the Abel Tasman to explore. The highlight of this trip is visiting Adele Island sanctuary, home to an array of protected native birds and a popular hangout for NZ Fur Seals. Experience the cacophony of bird sound that is unique to the Island. It's a beautiful day for those with only one day to spare. Our tip: if you can squeeze in an overnight stay, upgrade to the 2 day freedom hire it's truly magic spending a night in the park.
- Start & finish at Marahau.
- Fully explore the Astrolabe area at your own pace.
- Paddle out to Adele & Fisherman Islands and listen to the birdsong.
- Know that choosing this trip means a portion of your trip cost helps protect the birds.
- Drift into caves on a high tide.
- If you're keen, hike up to the top of Watering Cove and take in the spectacular view of the Astrolabe and the Northern part of the park.
- On your return paddle revisit your favourite spots or explore the ones you missed on the way North.
We also offer the option of a water taxi if you wish to paddle one way to Anchorage, we recommend this for competent outdoors people.
Minimum group size 2 (no solo hires).